Thursday

July 7, 2005

Prelude


When I began this journey, I was lost and scared. It was as if I were weaponless in an almost mythological but certainly unfriendly land, full of unknown obstacles and nightmarish scenes, with no real idea of where I was or of what was going to happen. I knew where I wanted to be, but I had no map and thus nothing to help me find my way.

I believe, now, that I do.

This is the story of my three-year journey. I think that my wife and I are stronger, wiser, and closer for the experience.

Each of us has his or her own unique journey. My hope is that something here will help someone else on theirs.

When I was first diagnosed, and began to develop an inkling of its significance, I wrote on a little yellow Post-It, "Nothing has changed" and kept it in a drawer. I would refer to it from time to time as things changed, sometimes in small ways, sometimes in really big ways. I have come to believe that God has a sense of humor, because if he or she had been reading over my shoulder, my note to myself certainly would have caused a chuckle.

Change is change, neither good nor bad, but rather what you make of it.

I should have written that "Nothing important has changed."

-john

No comments: